Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Router table fence question

On Jun 4, 9:11 am, steamer wrote:
--Ran into a situation the other day where I had to rout a series of
parallel slots in half a dozen pieces. Setting the stops on the router fence
is easy enough for one set of slots but when you swivel a router fence all
of the stop positions change. So I set out to look for a retrofit fence kit
of some kind that would move the fence back and forth, parallel to the first
setting. Well the guys at the Woodcraft store said there isn't one! So I
made one; not totally happy with the results tho, i.e. it can still wobble a
bit but it's definitely better than nothing at all.
--Question: anyone else been down this road? What did ya wind up
doing?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I still miss
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : rock and roll...

I'm not sure if the slots you're routing will be always a fixed
distance apart from each other, as it was in my case. I built a type
of sled that resembles a box joint jig. Cut a slot on the sled to fit
nicely around a collar mounted on the router table, push the workpiece
and sled across the bit for the first cut, then hot glue a piece of
scrap that'll fit well into the slot you've just cut the specified
distance from the cut onto the sled. Move the first cut on the
workpiece over onto the scrap to locate for the next cut. Does this
make sense to you? Tom