Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default non electrical (ie manual hand turn) 3 way 3 port valve forcentral heating hot water

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:34:44 -0700, cjayd34 wrote:

Hi
I have an old central heating system (I guess at least 20 years).
The selection of Hot Water (only), Central Heating (only) or Hot Water
plus Central heating is manually controlled by (hand) via a circular
shaped brass value

The valve 'control' is fronted by a blue plastic dial that rotates
360 degrees, and has the above selection written in white lettering
upon it.

The valve is/was made by Switchmaster. (I have a picture if anyones
interested)

The valve may have developed an internal leak or broken it's seal -
When Hot Water only is selected, some water is diverted to Central
Heating - meaning the rads are warming up unnecessarily.

can anyone advise either where

* could I get a replacement for the Switchmaster

* Is there another form of 3 way valve I could use - it doesnt have to
be elegant - as this is all locked away in a cupboard - I've done the
usual google searches but had no luck so far

Replace the valve with a standard (mid position Honeywell or Horstmann
unit) Rewire controls as per Main FAQ