Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default Cheap bookshelves for a number of books

wrote in message
oups.com...
Our building is nearing completion and it will soon be time to get

our
books (many hundreds, mainly paperbacks) out of storage.

In our last two houses I've created bookshelves using vertical rails
into which the shelf supports are clipped (in my vernacular this
system is "Dexion", but their website doesn't seem to list this
product). I then put cheap planks onto these and, provided I get

the
height right, you don't see anything but the books and the wood of

the
shelf. I found that if necessary I could close one end off by
screwing a length of beading vertically so that the end book is
retained.

My wife thinks we might think about another system this time - maybe
one slightly less lo-tech and better looking. Anyone any thoughts?
We're talking about an area approximately 17 feet long by 8 feet

high
which will be completely covered in books. There are no wires or
pipes to consider.

Thanks.

Edward

Well, back in my student days, when funds were non existant, we used
to paint housebricks white and use them stood on end to support and
separate whatever sheet timber we could scrounge from skips, cut to
width and also painted white. Two bricks side by side at each end
(well at the 1/3rd - 2/3rds positions) actually made quite
presentable shelving by the time it was filled with books and
ornaments. You had to take a second look to see it was actually a
cheapskate solution G

AWEM