Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default What's the best bug-light?

On Jun 4, 12:15 am, dean wrote:
On Jun 4, 1:12 am, "Noozer" wrote:

"dean" wrote in message

roups.com...

I just put in a couple of pale-yellow plastic encased CF bulbs (bug
lights, supposedly) outside on my deck, and there are piles of bugs
flying all around them. Not as bad as a daylight bulb, but still,
they're crap. Are there any that really work?

Uhm... bug lights are supposed to ATTRACT bugs. You put them out away from
where you want to be. At least that's how all the ones I've seen work.

That's a bug zapper. A bug light is a yellow light of some kind that
insects can't see (supposedly, they can only see UV and blue, which is
filtered out).

That's theory, as you've discovered, it isn't all that effective of
one...

I'm unaware of any that emit any usable visible light that don't also
attract at least some -- as in enough as to not be of much value as
compared to an ordinary incadescent bulb. I suspect the only thing
that would be effective would be so far to one end of the spectrum or
the other that it wouldn't produce enough light that humans could see
in it either. After all, the insects fly around during the daylight
hours in the same light we wander around in -- would be somewhat
surprising if what light sensitivity they have weren't in similar
response frequencies...