Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Deck lumber recommendations

Dan Espen wrote:
Larry Caldwell writes:

In article ,
(Mark) says...

Boy, I'd sure consider the composite. Maintenance free, particularly if you
don't want to finish it every few years.

I pressure wash my composite deck once a year, which brings it back to
looking brand new. The framing is ground contact rated treated wood,
even though it sits on concrete, and the fasteners are stainless steel.
Replacing a deck once was enough. This one is going to last longer than
I will.

Agreed. I can't understand why I see all these recos for various types of
wood. I think the composite looks better from day one, but there's no contest
after 5 years. Mines at 5 years now and looks brand new after cleaning.
I don't expect that to change at 10, 15, 20.

I don't recall the brand of composite that my hubby used for our
finger-dock about 5 years ago. Full-sun, all day, Florida, and it looks
like new; well, like weathered wood the day it was put down. Yesterday
we had a bit of storm surge from Barry, with finger docks under water
for a while. The wood decks are popping boards, ours isn't. Don't know
what it is like in a wooded, shady yard - perhaps a lot of mildew? We
don't clean it, so it's just "there".