Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Deck lumber recommendations

In article ,
Dan Espen wrote:

Larry Caldwell writes:

In article ,
(Mark) says...

Boy, I'd sure consider the composite. Maintenance free, particularly if
you
don't want to finish it every few years.

I pressure wash my composite deck once a year, which brings it back to
looking brand new. The framing is ground contact rated treated wood,
even though it sits on concrete, and the fasteners are stainless steel.
Replacing a deck once was enough. This one is going to last longer than
I will.

Agreed. I can't understand why I see all these recos for various types of
wood. I think the composite looks better from day one, but there's no
contest
after 5 years. Mines at 5 years now and looks brand new after cleaning.
I don't expect that to change at 10, 15, 20.

I think it's a matter of aesthetic preference. My five year old redwood
deck has gotten gray, dirty, and green with moss in spots. But to me, it
looks far better than any plasticy "manufactured" material.