Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Default Does rust solidify in a hot water tank?

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:05:09 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

So I go to drain my hot water tank at its one year anniversary and nothing
comes out of the drain valve - well a little drip here and there maybe. I
did all the right things I believe, turned off the cold water, opened up a
hot water tap, hooked a garden hose to the drain valve (cheap plastic valve
that I wouldn't trust for anything).

So I assume its clogged with rust, I have galvanized pipes for my cold water
supply and I know they are at or near the point of failure and all the rust
that comes with that (I have the blue PEX chilling in the office until I
have a chance to start removing the galvanized). So I'm wondering does rust
form a solid mass eventually or can it be loosened up enough to let the
drain do its thing?

Leave it alone.

Your next maintenance schedule is to replace the unit when it fails
or becomes so inefficient that you can't get thru a hot shower.

That may be next week or 5 years from now, so just relax and forget
the annual chore of draining the sediment.