Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Caldwell Larry Caldwell is offline

Default Does rust solidify in a hot water tank?

In article , m44
(Eigenvector) says...
So I go to drain my hot water tank at its one year anniversary and nothing
comes out of the drain valve - well a little drip here and there maybe. I
did all the right things I believe, turned off the cold water, opened up a
hot water tap, hooked a garden hose to the drain valve (cheap plastic valve
that I wouldn't trust for anything).

So I assume its clogged with rust, I have galvanized pipes for my cold water
supply and I know they are at or near the point of failure and all the rust
that comes with that (I have the blue PEX chilling in the office until I
have a chance to start removing the galvanized). So I'm wondering does rust
form a solid mass eventually or can it be loosened up enough to let the
drain do its thing?

I just took the air compressor and blew air back into the tank when mine
did that. It took some flushing, but I eventually got quite a bit of
sediment out of the tank. About 5 years later I had to replace the
tank, so yours may be on its last legs.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.