Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Painters and Insurance Requirements

Don Phillipson wrote:

"WendyC88" wrote in message

Hello. I am going to be looking for a painter to paint the trim of my
house. What should I look for regarding insurance? My neighbor had

someone

fix her roof and he fell off his ladder and broke his arm. The company he
worked for denied his work comp claim stating he is an independent
contractor, so he sued my neighbor for medical and lost time. She went
through hell before he stopped pursuing the claim and I want to be

protected

from this. Thanks

Require any contractor to provide you a copy
of his current insurance policy (paid up to date.)

What you want is a certificate of insurance SENT DIRECTLY TO YOU
BY THE BROKER OR INSURANCE COMPANY, not the contractor. The
certificate of insurance should name you and list your premises as
an additional insuredlocation of he contractor for the duration of the job.

A copy of a policy, or a receipt that the policy was paid for, are each
useless. Policy could have been cancelled by the contractor and
premium refunded.

Anything provided to you by the contractor could be phonied up.

Real contractors have no problem with doing that, and real
brokers or insuance companies have no problem with it either.

If the contractor won't do hat, run like hell.