Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson jackson is offline

Default replace outdoor faucet?

"Grandpa" wrote in message
news:rfo8i.210$0x3.43@trnddc06...
Jimmy S. wrote:

Here is the image of the outdoor faucet.

http://i15.tinypic.com/6cxlz0j.jpg

Could you tell me whether is a standard or "frost free" version you were
talking about? Thanks,

JIMMY

Looks like an old style frost free. The vacuum breaker is sort of
"permanently" attached at the hose threads rather than being on top.
If its leaking at the packing nut then you can try tightening it
like hallerb suggested. If it still leaks, then you can try to
replace the packing around the stem. If it still leaks then you will
have to find a rebuild kit like Jackson suggested for that style of
a faucet. If you can't find a rebuild kit, then it should be
replaced. You should be able to access the back side from the crawl
space or basement. There are sites that explain how to replace these
valves. DAG

By the way, the valve seat is buried inside the wall anywhere from 4
to 12 inches inside, that's why you'll always have some water
dripping out after you turn it off. Can't tell from the visible
markings what brand it is or its possible length. But if it doesn't
leak when the water is off, its probably OK.

--
Grandpa

Take that picture to the hardware store and ask if they have a repair kit
for the faucet. Bring any markings that you can find on it as well. If
they don't have a repair kit buy a new anti-siphon frost-free hydrant and
replace it, or call a plumber to do it, which after looking at that photo is
probably what I would do if that was my situation and I couldn't repair the
faucet. I'm an amateur plumber at best, and I'm not big on masonry issues
either.

HTH.