Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson jackson is offline

Default Painters and Insurance Requirements

"WendyC88" wrote in message
Hello. I am going to be looking for a painter to paint the trim of my
house. What should I look for regarding insurance? My neighbor had
someone fix her roof and he fell off his ladder and broke his arm. The
company he worked for denied his work comp claim stating he is an
independent contractor, so he sued my neighbor for medical and lost time.
She went through hell before he stopped pursuing the claim and I want to
be protected from this. Thanks

Depending on what part of the world you are in there is a very good
possibility that you can purchase a temporary or short term rider for your
homeowners policy to actually cover for such things like contractors working
on your home. While I would still recommend an inquiry insurance
coverage (both for liability for damage to your property and work comp) and
demand they provide proof of same, as you see you could end up in a battle
between you and their insurance carrier still. Purchasing the rider
automatically puts the battle between the insurance companies.