Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Refresh linseed oil on cedar wall

On Jun 3, 1:00 am, Abe wrote:
I have a cedar wall that was finished with a brushed-on coat of uncut
linseed oil. When I tried to refresh a part of the wall with a second
coat, maybe 10 years after the first, the result left some shiny,
sticky patches. Now, several years later still, I'd like advice on
1) eliminating the shiny-sticky bits, and 2) refreshing a linseed
oiled surface without creating more such patches.

You can use a rag moist with appropriate solvent (turpentine or 99%
isopropyl alcohol) and gently rub the shiny spots, turning the rag
often, to remove the excess oil and even out the finish.

Technique is important. You have to develop a feel for it.

After that, if you want an oiled finish, use a prepared rubbing oil
finish, not linseed oil alone. If you have a piece of the material,
use it for a trial first, if not I highly recommend a small spot in an
inconspicuous location to ensure the look is what you want.

I personally like the Minwax Original (in the red can), but there are
a zillion others as well and everybody has their favorite(s) or their
own brew...