Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default How much to pay neighbor to paint house?

On Jun 3, 8:25 am, Al Bundy wrote:
"badgolferman" wrote :

dean, 6/1/2007,1:16:40 AM, wrote:

My old neighbor is a really nice guy, and he used to be a painter of
early days. How much should I pay him to paint my house, excluding all
the costs of paint and equipment? My house is a contemporary, 3300 sq
feet, wooden panelling in good condition. I've never had a house
painted before and don't know what to offer, on a per-day basis or for
the whole job.

I would think twice before getting your neighbor to paint your house.
If something goes wrong either on his part or on yours it is bound to
cause a problem between you two. What is more important, keeping good
relations with him or taking a chance on destroying it because of a
business arrangement?

Examples of things that are likely to go wrong a
1. How long it takes to finish the job.
2. Hidden damage that he will have to repair.
3. Disagreement over the finished product.
4. Him falling off a ladder and getting hurt.
5. Types and shades of paint used.
6. etc.

etc. such as:
6a. He damages something by accident like ladder falls and breaks
something. Spilled gal of paint trashes something.
6b. Ladder falls and someone's head gets remodeled.

With a stranger there are no emotional ties and there is a contract to
abide by. With friends many things can go wrong where money is
involved.

Another option is opt to do the work yourself and have him supervise
you. If he has the experience of painting houses he can give you much
information to make it easier and faster. He'll also feel useful and
your friendship bond will become stronger.

Talk about a couple of "stick-in-the-mud" types...

The guy was a profesional painter, for Pete's sake---give him at least
a little slack.

My only real concern other than that of the "how do you treat a
neighbor/friend" question and what the actual relationship is between
the two might be from the original question that the old fella' might
be getting a little too long in years to be up to the task physically
-- don't know that, obviously, but is a consideration I think...