Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default How much to pay neighbor to paint house?

On Jun 1, 12:16 am, dean wrote:
My old neighbor is a really nice guy, and he used to be a painter of
early days. How much should I pay him to paint my house, excluding all
the costs of paint and equipment? My house is a contemporary, 3300 sq
feet, wooden panelling in good condition. I've never had a house
painted before and don't know what to offer, on a per-day basis or for
the whole job.

Don't know -- is this a for hire arrangement or has he volunteered to
just do it or has he asked if you would like for him to do it (as in
fishing for some work)? Are you going to be working side by side w/
him or are you off at your day job and he's painting for you? If you
are helping, are you help or hindrance? I'd want to know the
circumstances far more thoroughly before positing a response,
methinks.

If you're basically hiring him, I'd think he ought to get going rate
in your area and then he can refuse it. If he's volunteered, you
might cause more hard feelings by trying to tie payment to the work
level of effort than just letting him do the work w/ you supplying
material. In that case, of course, you treat him royally w/ a sizable
gift of whatever seems appropriate for his interests, etc., probably
helped along w/ a nice little check to go with it.

Anywhere in between starts w/ the going rate in your area and I've no
way on knowing that (nor anyone else here since I don't believe it was
mentioned).