Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck lumber recommendations

"cas" wrote in message
oups.com...
Part one:

We're looking to replace our 20 year old deck. What would be the best
material to use? I'm not too fond of composite decking, which leaves
either redwood/cypress or salt treated. Any reasons not to lean
towards redwood/cypress over salt treated? How about treating the
wood? Just the top or the bottom also? I don't want to paint it (a
friend did that, it looked good for a while, now he's going through
the pains of refinishing it).

Do the cost comparisons for Ipe and Mahogany decking. Last I checked they
were $2.09 and $1.89 a lineal foot. They are both very good looking and
long lasting. I'd put a coat of Penofin oil on them before laying the wood,
then just the top surface very couple of years. Ipe is reported to have a
50 year life with no treatment at all. Redwood and cypress are good choices
also, along with the Penofin oil treatment.