Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Ceiling fan - tightening onto downrod; instructions make no sense

If the lock nuts on the set screws prevent you from tightening the screws
against the rod, I would question if you have the correct diameter down rod.
They are not all the same

"Apropos" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Hampton Bay clg fan I'm installing.

I put in a new downrod (longer) and was going to hook up the downrod to
the
motor. I slipped in the pin and then it said "you must tighen the screws
securely", referring to set screws on the collar on the motor unit (into
which the downrod slipped).

There begins the problem. There are actually 4 screws on the collar,
despite the illustration only showing 2. I will assume the set screws are
the HIGHER ones which actually would tighten onto the downrod (the other 2
are lower). Although, interestingly, the illustration seemed to show the
screws at 180 degrees while the higher set screws were at 90.

OK, all fine and good. I can assume which to use. HOWEVER - the set
screws, which are supposed to be "secure", have *NUTS* on them. Nuts
which
keep the screws from fastening too tightly onto the downrod! In other
words, if the nuts remain, there is PLAY in the connection. The nuts are
NOT mentioned in the instructions or diagram.

Should I remove these nuts and tighten the screws onto the downrod? Or
are
the nuts there for some reason...???

Has anyone had experience with clg fan installation and would know what
these nuts might be for?