Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Petro Andy Petro is offline

Default Repair or Replace Water Heater?

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:%Fn8i.259086$DE1.65121@pd7urf2no...
Bill wrote:
We have a (guess) at least 10 yr old Rheem electric water heater
(40gal) that has a defective bottom heating element. I have also
drained this guy to remove sediment. I can repair this guy for about
20 bucks. With the electric bill being the biggest priority would
changing this guy out for a new 50 gal Whirlpool - link to Lowes
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...45V&lpage=none

Energy efficient; auto adjusts to water usage patterns/4 operating
modes; .95 energy factor - would this save us power vs our older unit
which does currently have a manual on/off timer that turns the thing
off while we sleep? I realize 50 gal will use a little more than the
40 gal (50 gal is probably the perfect size for our family; but the
40
gal is sufficient) but has the technology changed at all in the last
10 or so years to make these electric heaters more efficient? Thanks
- Bill

test

Replace the element . Tanks should not be replaced unless they leak.