Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Repair or Replace Water Heater?

Bill wrote:
We have a (guess) at least 10 yr old Rheem electric water heater
(40gal) that has a defective bottom heating element. I have also
drained this guy to remove sediment. I can repair this guy for about
20 bucks. With the electric bill being the biggest priority would
changing this guy out for a new 50 gal Whirlpool - link to Lowes
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...45V&lpage=none

Energy efficient; auto adjusts to water usage patterns/4 operating
modes; .95 energy factor - would this save us power vs our older unit
which does currently have a manual on/off timer that turns the thing
off while we sleep? I realize 50 gal will use a little more than the
40 gal (50 gal is probably the perfect size for our family; but the 40
gal is sufficient) but has the technology changed at all in the last
10 or so years to make these electric heaters more efficient? Thanks
- Bill

Check the anode before you make your decision. If there's still
aluminum or magnesium left, replacing the anode should make it good to
go. If it's down to the wire, it's a crap shoot and I would vote for
replacement.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.