Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Falling objects

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
news:BXj8i.519$jW6.306@trnddc01...
Just thought I would relate my latest accident. I was trying to get some
sheathing on the exterior of my current project and built a home made
scaffold support on the side of the building. I only had a wall 16" long
to nail the support to, and the heighth was just over 16' off the ground.
My 16' 2x4s were about 8" too short to reach the support, so I decided to
just be careful and not put any legs under the support.

16'-8" later, I hit the ground. I landed in some bushes which broke my
fall, but it hurt anyway. Had to recover the building with a huge tarp
(threat of rain), then drive myself to the emergency room. Got four
stitches in my right knee and alot of bruises and scrapes. The doctor and
nurse were amazed that I had no other injuries AND that I had driven
myself to the ER.

I missed the rest of that day and the next, but was able to work (albeit
at a slower pace) the following day.

MORAL; Take the time to make sure the scaffolding is secure.

Alternate moral; I am getting too old for this.

No, the moral is, just like confined space work, you never do high work
alone. Doesn't matter if they just sit in a lawn chair in the shade and read
a magazine or knit. You need somebody there to do CPR, call 911, etc.

When I was a young dumb kid, I had a few stupid falls like that, luckily all
on to freshly-worked dirt. Now that I don't heal up overnight like when I
was 18, I take a lot more time checking rigging and thinking about every
step before I make it.

aem sends.....