Jim Wilson

Default Woodworker making own blades-a question

Ed Huntress wrote...

If you put up some photos, I'd like to see them.

Sure thing. I'll be out of town tomorrow, but I'll try to take a couple
photos Sunday.

You may want to point out one caution here to hobbyists who try the
atmosphere trick. I'm not sure about propane, but this is true for natural
gas: burning it with insufficient air, as in your routine for making a
reducing atmosphere, generates a lot of carbon monoxide in a hurry.

That is absolutely true for propane as well, and it can be a serious
hazard. I almost always operate the larger forge outdoors, but I usually
use the little one on a bench inside. I installed a carbon monoxide
detector in my work area for just this reason. The CO alarm has never
gone off (the smoke detector has), but then I always keep the garage
doors open when I'm running the micro forge. You can't have too much air
outside the forge. Anyway, a CO alarm is cheap peace of mind.

Jim