Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting (not Staining) Pressure Treated Lumber

On Jun 2, 3:38?pm, Robert Allison wrote:
wrote:
Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA):
Consumer Safety Information Sheet:

snipped

Exposure to inorganic
arsenic may present certain hazards.

More snippage

Yeah, it MAY cause a certain problem. Take precautions.

Having worked with CCA (which is not made any more due to the
threat of junk lawsuits and not because the EPA or anyone else
recommended the production be halted) for the last 30 years, I
believe that I have a certain knowledge about its use. I can
guarantee that I have been exposed to more CCA than ANYBODY
that is exposed to casual contact. I have had months where I
did nothing but saw and install PT lumber on huge decks, pool
decks, etc. I did not (nor was it recommended at the time)
use any dust masks, gloves, etc. I am fine. Just had a
checkup when I turned 52 and everything is great (except for
the getting old part).

This is one of those overblown, paranoid delusions that make
some people a lot of money and many people very afraid.

Take precautions and don't worry about it. The newer stuff is
supposed to be less dangerous, so you can probably eat it.

NOTE: I do not condone, nor recommend eating ACQ treated
lumber. It tastes terrible.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

well some people chain smoke for a lifetime and die at 90 of old age,
while others with less exposure get emphsema, heart disease, cancer,
and die young from smoking./

one persons report does not determine safety of anything.

In 1985 my mom wanted a raised bed for growing vegetables. after
looking into PT I built it frome reguar wood, concerned of PT chemical
leaching into food. It was considered PERFECTLY SAFE at that time. by
1995 PT was out for growing around veggies.