Posted to alt.home.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Why does my outside hose bib (spigot) have a hollow stem that LEAKS???

I can't see how a freeze-proof spigot is relevant. After shutting water
supply to the bib, the water would drain from the bib. Why have to remove
the handle screw to let it dribble out the side????

Joy

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 02:12:04 -0400, Bob M. wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
news
(I'm SO sorry. I'm learning a new browser and I managed to post this as
a reply for someone else instead of a new post.)

Nothing is easy in home repair!!!
We tried to replace the packing washer in our outside hose bib and that
seemed to go OK, but we removed the screw securing the handle and that
screw seemed to plug a hole in the hollow stem which now leaks.

Could that be a "freeze-proof" spigot? It's a little unlikely based on
the picture but you said it's a generic picture, not one of the actual
item.

Freeze-proof spigots have a long (6+ inches) stem that _is_ hollow (mine
are, anyhow), and the actual water-stopping valve portion of it is at
the far end of that stem.

Freeze proof spigots are great since you don't have to go around the
house in November turning off the outside water. That's not hard, but
here in Montana where it can freeze in September the freeze proof
spigots are nice to have.