Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Finicky Fluorescent Light

Jeffy3 wrote:
On Jun 1, 11:35 pm, wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:34 pm, wrote:

On Jun 1, 11:30 am, Jeffy3 wrote:
Our kitchen ceiling fixture is driving us crazy. Its the kind that
uses two compact fluorescent bulbs (rectangular shaped). It has
worked fine for a few years but recently has been really hit or miss
as to whether it fires on or not. It wouldn't come on for two days
(we don't leave the switch in the on position, though, just keep
trying it) and then suddenly this morning it turned right on foor us,
then later it wouldn't turn on again. How do you troubleshoot these
things? I put a new bulb in last night but it didn't work. I checked
the wiring on the fixture and the switch and everything is connected.
If it is part of the fixture itself, is it fixable or not worth it?
Some CFL's are not self ballasted. If yours is not then the
ballast(s) need to be changed. See figure 1 on the attached website.

Oopps...here is the web site.

http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/he...94/941114.html

Now the light has stopped working again, and this time it was making a
loud buzzing sound from the fixture. I assume this effectively rules
out the wall switch

You should still check the connections and the switch. If the
connections were poor (high resistance), you could have too low a
voltage at the fixture. That might explain the intermittent nature of
the lamp.