Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Default Basswood splitting

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message
I recently cut some basswood into 2' lenghts. The logs were approx. 6" in
dia. It still has bark on it and I want to eventually use it for caving.
The logs had been drying outside for 2 years. How can I avoid the pieces
cut from cracking? They are now stored in garage. Should you recommend
sealing the ends what should I use and how much longer does it need to
dry?

Thks for any responses.

Yes, seal the ends of the pieces and let dry about 1 year for each inch of
thickness. The splitting is caused by the ends drying out much faster
than the inner parts of the wood.

OR -- longitudal splitting in logs is from the outside drying faster than
the inside. It is almost impossible to dry a log without some splitting. You
need to cut them into quarters at the pith line to reduce the splitting.