Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Painting (not Staining) Pressure Treated Lumber

On Jun 2, 10:17 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
frank1492 wrote:
I am removing the boards on an old back porch (dimensions about
4X8.) The existing boards are true 1" thick 5" wide tongue and
groove that date back about 60 years. The porch is basically a
"farmers' porch" with a roof but no enclosure.
Having examined several options including the use of T&G fir
flooring, I have decided to use 6" decking boards as these have
exactly the right thickness and the 10' lengths that are best for
the dimensions of the porch. (The boards will need to be cut to 49
1/2 inches. I wish they could be 48" but they're not.)
Ideally I'd like non-pressure treated, but try to find them!
These need to be painted, not stained, to match the
charcteristics of the house, built in the 20's. I know that PT is
not even the best for stain, but is there any hope for paint? Does
anyone know
any one who has done this, what they did, and if they had any
success?

There's no problem painting PT after the wood is completely dry. As
purchased, they are usually sopping wet.

Agreed, again w/ the caveat of surface preparation...