Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Painting (not Staining) Pressure Treated Lumber

On Jun 1, 10:19 pm, BobK207 wrote:
On Jun 1, 3:45 pm, " wrote:

PT wood even stained expands and contracts way too much. After a
couple years it will look HORRIBLE. PT does all sorts of wierd stuff
l;ike barber poll. The treatment makes it much more likely to expand
and contract

Its my strong belief one day PT will be treated like asbestos with
guys in moon suits taking it away along with the soil under the deck
presently kids shouldnt get under PT wood because the dirt is
contaminated with chemicals.

You're consistently an "over-reacter", Haller...

Observation of reasonable precautions in direct ingestion/exposure is
warranted, but to the best of my knowledge there is no direct
indication of any serious problem from common exposure to PT lumber in
construction nor play equipment, for example. The worst I've seen
expounded upon is the possible relatively minor reaction to splinters
and some burning when handling wet material during its use.

......The treatment makes it much more likely to expand
and contract ..............

PT treatment can change fundamental behavior of the wood?

No...

Don't get me wrong.....I'm not a fan of PT but my experiment with PT
has been that PT'd DougFir is dimensionally stable but the more
typical HemFir that ships nearly dripping wet, twists & bows as it
dries.

Treaters prefer the HemFir because it treats quicker (at least that's
what I was told)

Treaters prefer whatever is available locally. Your experience in CA
reflects the proximity to western species. In the south/east, most
commonly PT is yellow pine.

When used as mud sill & anchored in place it tends to behave itself

When restrained in a strait jacket, so do most violent people...