Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Honeywell Humidicalc Recommended Instead of Outdoor Sensor? (Automatic Humidity Control)

Nick,

Here we go again.

For starters, had you replied to the original poster's question, and had you
done even the slightest amount of research before expounding on how external
wall temperatures were being used by the Humidicalc, I would have respected
you.

Maybe 40 years of professional engineering seems like an old man's tale to
you since you find it necessary to mock my experience, but I am here to tell
you 2 crucial and basic things which you apparently have not been taught yet
in your Villanova engineering program which were basic to my engineering
education and even more important to my eventual success in managing
thousands of engineers in a large aerospace company:

1. Listen to the stated question, in this case how do 2 humidistats compare,
and reply to it.

2. Do the research..........and only then offer an opinion. A 90 second
Google search would have revealed to you (as it did to me) that the
Honeywell Humidicalc humidstat is a duct-mounted device, is *** N O T P L
A C E D O N A N E X T E R N A L WA L L *** to indirectly measure
outdoor temperature, and furthermore, actually needs an outdoor Honeywell
temperature sensor to be installed in some circumstances. You would also
find that Aprilaire and other duct mounted humdistats with outdoor sensors
also have the very same "Frost Control" to apply manual feedback, and thus
the Humidicalc has absolutely nothing novel or different in this regard,
contrary to your unresearched opinion. Offering this group an uninformed
and unresearched position such as you did damages your credibility.

There is a 3rd rule which is never taught in school, but is simple basic
manners. Don't rely on name-calling. It looks and is childish, and
undermines the integrity of your thinking process and your up-bringing.

It gives engineering a bad reputation when its' trained practitioners ignore
the question, provide the wrong answers based on opinion rather than
published facts, and use name-calling as a discussion tactic.

Smarty

wrote in message
Smarty wrote:

As to whether a Honeywell Humidicalc with no outdoor sensor sitting in a
basement cold-air return plenum can infer enough from the surrounding air
and plenum temperature / humidity to make really appropriate guesses about
what the dew point is remains to be seen in my opinion...

It's easily seen, given the frost control knob feedback, if it measures
the furnace duty cycle, ie how often the duct air is moving. A system with
an outdoor temp sensor and no user feedback might do a lot worse, with
no knowledge of window R-values.

... I am sorry for the digression which occurred in this thread earlier
regarding energy needed to evaporate water.

That's the important part, you pompous ass :-) Caulking and humidification
can both increase indoor humidity, but caulking reduces fuel consumption,
and humidification can dramatically increase it.

Nick