Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default 1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

rank beginner wrote:
excellent suggestion, Smarty.

As for why so much emphasis on the origin of them - Because I want to
k now if there's any foul play, that's why!!
We actually had a vandal damage the outside foundation wall once
(albeit not the same side of the house).
On that occasion, we heard the loud thump, thought the neighbor had a
mower or other object accidentally
roll into the wall, or something, but discovered somebody took a
hammer to the wall (or maybe just a heavy
blunt object, who knows) and struck the wall, causing a about a 15"
across chip/crack that left a noticeable
indentation. We had to patch it over but the stuff I bought at the
store when dry became a darkish-grey color that makes
it noticeable that it's a patch. We subsequently installed a security
camera on that side of the house. So far, no more
problems.

I just feel that any hole drilled in the side of your house should
arouse suspicion, unless it serves some specific purpose.
We have owned this house for over 30 years (it was my parents house
where I grew up) and we NEVER had these holes
drilled at any time be it for seepage, termites, or any other reason.
Plus, why did I notice them now?? I have raked over the
outside of our home constantly, and justs now see them. However, you
folks have given evidence which strongly suggests
they are indeed old....hmmm....tomorrow I will see if they are lined
with metal.

You are right to be concerned. The holes are exactly the right size for an
Ammonium Nitrate explosive sabot (#UANA-2777-5) used for (among others)
excavating salt in room-and-pillar mines. These are used in tandem with
others for controlled, low explosive, detonations. Used properly, it's
almost like carving rock!

Do you have any mining or similar activities in your area or, more
importantly, know anybody involved with earth-moving operations?