Posted to alt.home.repair
Decked Decked is offline

Default Home Deck Post Repair

On May 28, 9:14 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Decked" wrote in message

ps.com...

If possible, I think a lap joint cut into the deck
post would work well. I'll have to pour a footing, but after that is
done, I think I could put in a lap jointed post and lag the two posts
together. I'd sure like to hear some comments about this idea.
Thanks.

How high is the deck? Do you use the underside as a patio or anything? Is
it visible? It may be possible to just add a new post next to the old one
and then cut out the old one flush at the bottom of the skirt.

Sorry for the late reply--I've been having some trouble figuring out
how to respond to everyone in the post thus far.
The deck is on a grade, the height varies. The shortest post runs
about two feet between the dirt and the skirt. The longest post is
about five feet between footing and skirt.
I'm concerned that if I side-saddle a post the weight will be
extreme on the mechanical attachments. It seems safer to either butt
joint or lap joint the new post in. I just don't know if there is any
code requirement as to depth of the lap, side-strapping, etc. I'll be
heading to the library this morning to review the IRC. Checking with
my city, they have no additional provisions or restrictions to the
IRC, so that is good...I think.