Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default choosing solder for original work and repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yours is the second recommendation I have seen for De-Flux 160 from
Servisol. Do you know where to find it in the U.S.?
The only distributors that seems to carry it are from the UK. Repair
work, I always used rosin core.
But for personal PCB projects, I prefer something thats easier to
clean where the results look neater. I have heard about long-term
reliability problems with no-clean and water soluable flux solders. So
I wanted to hear from more experienced people and their opinions of
these two types in regards to problems that were experienced.

I really don't know where you would find it over there. I had never really
thought about where they came from - I have just been using their products
here for years. I had a quick look on Google, and found several other
countries where it seemed to be available, so maybe someone in the U.S.
carries it. Try asking Servisol if they have a U.S. agent. Other than that,
there must be an equivalent product.

I have never really had anything to do with any water based or soluble flux,
but I have used no-clean formulations. These still leave a residue, it's
just that the manufacturers claim that the resisdue is stable and 'dead'.
However, I still clean it off, as I don't like the look of it on the board.
De-Flux 160 removes the flux completely with a tiny spray of product, and a
quick scrub with an old toothbrush. It does not touch any solder resist on
the board, which some solvents that I've come across, do. If you are doing a
large area, a slightly 'tacky' residue can be left behind, but this is
quickly and easily removed with IPA.

Arfa