Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Mulch substitute -- crushed brick ??

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 May 2007 22:03:13 -0400, James no wrote:
I have seen what looks like crushed red brick in commercial restaurants
such
as McDonald's etc. It may be a lava type product, but the last time I
noticed, it looks like crush brick pieces. It is a reddish color, and
it
looks really good where I have seen it.

It usually is a lava, and it is, imho, ugly. Terribly ugly when it's not
like the native rock of the area.

The problem (and my question) is whether or not weeds are a big problem
if
you use that product as a mulch subtitute.

Weeds (and other seeds) require several things for germination:
1) a suitable growing medium
2) enough water
3) light

Germination of seed does not require light of any kind. Nor does it require
any soil or other medium. Presence of adequate, but not overdoing it, water
is required. The other primordial requirement is temperature range.

Many people, including myself, can cause a pinto bean to germinate on a
sponge in the window sill.
Dave