Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default Why does my outside hose bib (spigot) have a hollow stem that LEAKS???

"Joy" wrote in message
news
(I'm SO sorry. I'm learning a new browser and I managed to post this as a
reply for someone else instead of a new post.)

Nothing is easy in home repair!!!
We tried to replace the packing washer in our outside hose bib and that
seemed to go OK, but we removed the screw securing the handle and that
screw seemed to plug a hole in the hollow stem which now leaks.

Could that be a "freeze-proof" spigot? It's a little unlikely based on the
picture but you said it's a generic picture, not one of the actual item.

Freeze-proof spigots have a long (6+ inches) stem that _is_ hollow (mine
are, anyhow), and the actual water-stopping valve portion of it is at the
far end of that stem.

Freeze proof spigots are great since you don't have to go around the house
in November turning off the outside water. That's not hard, but here in
Montana where it can freeze in September the freeze proof spigots are nice
to have.