Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting (not Staining) Pressure Treated Lumber

On Jun 1, 5:33�pm, BobK207 wrote:
On Jun 1, 2:07 pm, professorpaul wrote:

I have used opaque latex stains on decks. Works fine. I have also
gasp painted PT stock with latex paint. In both cases, the wood had
weathered for about a year. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Most PT lumber comes pretty wet from the supplier. *Paint goes best on
dry wood, un-weathered wood (best adhesion)

so what you got is conflicting *requirements......PT comes weather,
allowing to "weather" (really alllowing it to dry) gives better
adhesion than wet timber, weathering (UV exposure) degrades surface
wood fibers (reduces adhesion)

Best of all worlds....dry PT stock but good luck finding it *

Or you could just install wet & let dry...since your porch is covered,
depending on exposure, you might not get much UV exposure.

cheers
Bob

PT wood even stained expands and contracts way too much. After a
couple years it will look HORRIBLE. PT does all sorts of wierd stuff
l;ike barber poll. The treatment makes it much more likely to expand
and contract

Have a family friend who replaced their deck this year because their
dad painted the PT wood. the wood was good physically but appearance
YUK.

Solid stain is a much better choice.

Its my strong belief one day PT will be treated like asbestos with
guys in moon suits taking it away along with the soil under the deck

presently kids shouldnt get under PT wood because the dirt is
contaminated with chemicals.