Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Default Toshiba TV/DVD-DVD Trials and Tribulations

JR North wrote:
So, Toshiba MD9DP1 9" tv/dvd. I know, I know, but let's move on...
All TV functions OK, only a few hours on the set total time.
On cold start, the DVD will read the disc properly, and can select any
title or chapter and start playing normally. After 15-20 min of normal
play, the picture starts showing digital artifacts. A couple minutes
into this, the picture starts freezing. Momentarily at first,
progressing to long 10 min+ freezes with a few seconds of normal play
interspersed.
If I eject the disc at this point, and reload, the title screen
displays, and can select between titles (highlight). On select, the
system freezes. Period. If I set it to play first title on load, the
first title will start, but again begins with the artifacts and
freezes. Unplug set for a while, and back to the beginning. Does this
with any multi title disc. I have played these discs in my other DVD
players, and they function normally.
Opinions?
I have a parts unit I can cannibalize the DVD module from, but would
like some feedback first.
I should note; I got this unit off Ebay for $10. Brand new in box. The
CRT was gassed and arcing badly, sending mucho HV down the neck
harness. I got the 'Parts' unit cheap (case was all beat up) , and
swapped the CRT from it. I was amazed the unit fired up and worked at
all with all that HV zapping around, But it did.
JR

Typical of a bad laser pickup.

Mark Z.