Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Canchippy Canchippy is offline

Default Lathe position

On Jun 1, 3:13 pm, "George" wrote:

I never stand behind the lathe, being a right-hander, so the wall supports
my tool racks and catches the shavings that run up and out when making
bowls. The outsides of things drop the shavings right into a conveniently
placed bag. Scoop and sweep clears the table behind the lathe and between
the bed and the wall.

If you have a window, consider erecting a "wall" above the back of your
stand for shaving control.

Well George I am also a right hander and sometimes it's a lot easier
to reach inside a hollow form from the other side than it is lying
across the lathe ways.
I also have a shaving collector behind the head stock and about 3
quick steps to the outside door.
Tools behind the lathe to me are a hazard. Reaching over a rotating
tool is not healthy.
I also use a dust collector with a "Big Gulp" hood on it for catching
shavings before they hit the floor or the garbage can.
I had a bench top lathe before I got my Delta old iron and found it to
be a real pain as everything was so obstructed.
I also find that the amount of space taken up is actually less because
the space around the lathe is being used more efficiently.
Sun shines through the window from noon until sunset and there is
something about turning in natural light that I really enjoy, so I
would not block it off.
Thanks for the reply
Pete
Visit my site at: