Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa Grandpa is offline

Default Why does my outside hose bib (spigot) have a hollow stem thatLEAKS???

Joy wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 15:07:20 -0400, Roger sherryrogeratcomcastdotnet
wrote:
We tried to replace the packing washer in our outside hose bib and that
seemed to go OK, but we removed the screw securing the handle and that
screw seemed to plug a hole in the hollow stem which now leaks. What is
the purpose of a hole in the hollow stem and how do you stop THAT from
from leaking? The guys at Lowes never heard of such a thing. Here is a
picture to help you understand what I have...
http://mysite.verizon.net/bjkass123/bibhole.jpg Thanks for any ideas of
what it's for and how to fix. Joy"

I've also never heard of a completely hollow valve stem. Usually, the
hole is tapped only deep enough to take the handle mounting screw. Are
you sure it is leaking through the hole, and not from the base of the
stem where it goes into the valve nut? May be easiest just to replace
the hose bib valve, if replacing the packing and replacing the handle
does not do the trick.
Bib valves are fairly cheap.

Replacing would probably be difficult. It might be welded on the pipe.
Do any of these things get screwed on??? I don't want to risk making
things worse.

Boiler valves are NOT welded. They screw on. Yours looks like a 3/4
FIP valve. Depending upon what the attaching pipe is, you may or may
not be able to wrench it off. If its old galvanized pipe, you're
probably better off replacing the guts of the valve.
--
Grandpa