Posted to alt.home.repair
Moparmaniac Moparmaniac is offline

Default Help Wiring Whole House fan with timer and 2 speed switch?

wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:17:26 -0500, "Moparmaniac"
wrote:

I'm getting ready to install a whole house fan in our home. While the
instructions are fairly straight forward for wiring up the 2 speed switch
that came with it, I'm wanting to add in a wall timer as well. The timer
was made by the same company as the house fan.. It has 4 connections total
on the back..on the back it has a picture of the wiring as 2 terminals on
one side being Normally Closed and 2 terminals on one side being normally
open.

Is lead and neutral coming in on one side (NC) and and lead and neutral
going out on the other side (NO)? If that is the case I'm assuming the
Neutral coming out of the timer runs back to the motor, while the Lead
coming out goes over to the 2 speeed switch where it is wired to the lead
wire then the black and red wires attach to the black and red wires at the
motor.

You want to connect the feed to the 2/speed switch through the NO
contacts. That way when the timer is on the fan will run, either
speed, selected by the switch..

I guess what I don't understand is the fact that other wall timers I looked
at had only 2 terminals...I would think this is just the black or lead wire
coming in and black wire going back out to the motor. Basically a simple
disconnect like a light switch. The White wire (Neutral) would bypass the
timer and wire straight up to the motor.

I'm not understanding why this timer I bought that is designed to be sold
with this model of house fan has 4 on the back instead of the other timers
that had two. Wouldn't just having the black feed coming in and black wire
going out to the 2 speed switch work? What are the other 2 terminals for
then? The white wire (neutral) that's what is throwing me off.

I would think the white would bypass this timer as well...but the other 2
terminals make me think that has to run through it too and that isn't making
sense to me.

Thanks,
Mike