Posted to alt.home.repair
miker miker is offline

Default removing glued down padding from stairs

The house I bought a while ago has the carpet and padding layed down on the
floor with staples around the edges. Rolling it all up, staining, sanding
and applying varathane took a while but it looks great. Now for the stairs.
I see glue has been applied to the black padding under the carpet. I want to
keep all the wood and go through the same procedure as I did with the
floors. So far I have been working on one stair at a time. Ripping off the
carpet, removing the edge staples, ripping up the padding and then using a
chisel to remove the glue. The chisel is on an angle it does not damage the
wood and does a good job of removing most of the mess. I use Goo Gone on the
thick glue which does an ok job but im looking a a better chemical. Anyone
know of anything that would work better?

miker