Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Old guy Old guy is offline

Default Are there any reasonable lathes?

Hi again,

I think I completely missed a trick here.

Go the American Association of Woodturners site, and look up the local
chapters.
http://www.woodturner.org/community/...t=Chapter+List

Find one near you and contact them.

Most turners would be delighted to mentor someone like you who was
interested, eager and young. Might even let them use their lathe. You
could offer to sweep the shop in return. (If you are from around southern
Minnesota, give me a call.)

This would let you spend your money on your own chisels. Maybe they would
have a few they aren't using or have replaced, and would give you. That way
you wouldn't have to use theirs. (Using someone else's chisel is like
using their toothbrush, only more personal.)

This might be more practical and fun than learning on your own machine.

My $.02, good luck on getting set up.

Old Guy

wrote in message
oups.com...
All of the suggestions i have been getting are great. Theres just one
problem. All of the lathes that are being suggested are alot of money
for a hihg school freshman to pay. I need a lathe that is big enough
to make a 33'' bat and be around 250-300 with everything i need to
start (except the wood). Anymore suggestions???