Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
Al Al is offline

Default Removing relay without damaging pcb (plated through holes)

On Thu, 31 May 2007 23:09:17 -0500, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:48:04 -0700, the renowned
wrote:

On May 30, 8:31 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:22:34 +0100, CWatters wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
There is only one way: chop the relay up until you can get to each
pin, and desolder those individually.

That's the way I'd do it.

That's the way I've done it.

Any recommendations on how to "chop up" the relay?
Its a sealed plastic type.

Sharp cutters like these:
http://www.wassco.com/shearcutters.html

Cut into it from the top and keep cutting stuff away until just the
pins are left. Be careful cutting away the plastic bottom that you
don't scratch through traces or otherwise accidentally damage the
board.

If you have a *good* desoldering tool (with a vane pump etc.) it may
be possible to suck almost all the solder out of the holes so they
break away when wiggled without damaging the plated-through holes, but
it's not always possible, and it runs more risk even with good tools
and even if you have just cleaned the tool out.

I've used a Dremel tool to remove relays, as well as other components, by
cutting them to pieces, carefully, of course. Then I unsolder one pin at a
time. Unless you need to do failure analysis on the bad part.

Al