Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Canchippy Canchippy is offline

Default Lathe position

I am a daily reader of a lot of wood turning forums and notice the
majority of turners place their lathes against a wall with the bed
parallel to the wall. I have to be different and mine is tailstock
against the wall and the bed at a right angle to the wall.
This allows tool storage on the wall to my right and also easy access
to be able to clean behind the lathe. I can also work from the other
side when doing hollowing. If something comes loose it doesn't bounce
of the wall and break. Also the access for outboard turning is greatly
improved.
I must admit I was more or less forced into this as the wall in
question has a window in it that was directly in the firing line.
So why did you decide on a parallel to the wall installation?

Pete
Visit my site at:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/pHyde/