Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Are there any reasonable lathes?

On 31 May 2007 13:48:22 -0700, wrote:

All of the suggestions i have been getting are great. Theres just one
problem. All of the lathes that are being suggested are alot of money
for a hihg school freshman to pay. I need a lathe that is big enough
to make a 33'' bat and be around 250-300 with everything i need to
start (except the wood). Anymore suggestions???

Almost forgot- you'll need a grinder as well, to sharpen tools. Lots
of guys like variable speed models with white or pink friable wheels,
but I use a regular old delta fast speed grinder with the stock wheels
bolted to an old stool, and it works fine for me- you just need to
have a light touch and some practice.

If you look around a bit, bench grinders are everywhere- even the
least handy guys seem to have one in the garage somewhere. Mine cost
about $50 new, but I would imagine that if you look around a bit, you
can find one for almost nothing at a garage sale or a junk shop.
They're hard to wear out, so don't be afraid of buying a used one.
That's a useful multi-purpose tool that will serve you well for many
years as well- even if you decide turning isn't for you.