Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.components
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default Widget for joining 3-core mains flex

wrote in message
oups.com...
Coleman wrote:

I am in the UK. I want to ask for info about joining 3-core mains
flex on an appliance that may have to carry up to 3,000 Watts.

I usually extend the mains flex by soldering but the finished join is
too bulky when winding the flex or pulling it around a corner.

When I make my 3 joints I slightly offset each one so that it is not
beside another one. This helps make a slimmer overall joint but it
makes for a longer joint (about 2.5 to 3 inches) and with insulating
tape it is still too bulky.

(A) Is it safe to use heat shrink insulating tubing for each join
and have each join beside the other? Then I might use a single layer
of insulating tape to bind over and protect the 3 joins.

(B) Or is there some widget which can help with this? Perhaps a
small moulding which is made up of three very small metal tubes held
by moulded plastic to be close together but not touching. I could
put a wire into each end of a metal tube and then solder the wires
into it. (It's just an idea.)

Any info?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ed_Flex_Joints

But that is about twisted flex joints (the key is in the name ) ) rather
than soldered joints, which is what the OP was talking about. Hardly ideal
but still not twisted flex joints and therefore not subject to the dangers
described in the article.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)