Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Staircase (New)

On 1 Jun, 09:35, Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-06-01 09:02:07 +0100, "Vass" said:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

oups.com...
On May 31, 1:16 pm, "Vass" wrote:

But why
did you not check the thing when it was delivered?

Was at work, left them to it. fitted and screwed when I got home.

Personally, I'd make them change it; inconvenience or not.

Certainly I wouldn't accept having the thing with a bunch of dents and
dings. With wood, you can at least (usually) remove surface dents
using a damp cloth and an iron as long as no material has been gouged
out. I very much doubt that that can be done with MDF.

Really I'm with Andy on that one. MDF looks sht, its damaged as well,
its not what was ordered, and the odd spills that do occur IRL will
make a pigs ear of it, leaving you needing expensive remedial work in
time. Pine otoh will last a century easily, look fairly good, be more
or less spillproof, and can be repaired in situ as well. (Hardwood
would be better.)

If you pay for the mdf, youre paying him to pull one over you. I dont
like doing that. I'd withhold payment on the staircase unitl it was
sorted out. As you cant do it in short term, maybe book a date later
on to have it sorted out. Builders dont like that sort of thing, but
it is their responsibility, the job is not ok, and they start to
behave once they've had a reality check.

OTOH there are cases where its best let go... all we can do is offer
some options.

NT