Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Old guy Old guy is offline

Default Are there any reasonable lathes?

Hi,

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but...

I just recently bought my son a Jet Mini Lathe. I'm afraid he will not be
as happy later as he is now. Because every lathe needs some toys...

Like gouges, a choice of tail stock centers, a face protector, and before
long a scroll chuck. Before long he's going to have more invested in toys
for the lathe than I spent for the lathe itself. To say nothing of the wood
needed to feed it.

So, even if you do find your dream/cheap/used lathe, you've only started to
spend money. Maybe you will need TWO summer jobs to make this work.

Good luck on your quest. Wood turning is a blast.

Old Guy

wrote in message
oups.com...
All of the suggestions i have been getting are great. Theres just one
problem. All of the lathes that are being suggested are alot of money
for a hihg school freshman to pay. I need a lathe that is big enough
to make a 33'' bat and be around 250-300 with everything i need to
start (except the wood). Anymore suggestions???