Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Cauk/Filler for Expansion joint

On 31 May 2007 07:17:13 -0700, Todd wrote:

Folks,

I am looking to fill the expansion joint between my slab of my
basement, and the outside walls. A little history:

We had a bit of water in the basement - came up through the expansion
joint at one edge of the basement. Sure enough, there was negative
drainage allowing snow-dammed water to leak into the house.

I have repaired that issue (put a french drain in) but I'd like to
take an extra precaution while I have everything ripped out of my
basement. I understand that filling this gap is not going to solve
any leaking problems that I might have...i'm just looking to cover all
bases.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use to fill the
joint? It would need to be:

a.) water proof
b.) expandable/contractable/flexible with the movement of the slab.
c.) resiliant to the tests of time. (it should last a long time.)

- Thanks in advance,

Todd

As others have said, it won't prevent water entry, but I'd go with 50
year urethane caulk. I found it sticks way better than silicone and
outlasts it too. Any type of caulk, silicon or urethane works best if
it only attaches to two surfaces, so it can easily stretch with
movement. So first stuff a piece of foam backer rod (you can get at
borg) in, and then caulk. The backer rod flexes, so it allows the
bottom of the caulk bead to stretch. You don't want more than about
1/4-3/8" thick bead of caulk. And if the gap is wider than about
3/8-1/2" you need a different solution.

HTH,

Paul