Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Best Brush Trimmer

According to car crash :
Hi there, I live in Ottawa, Canada. I have a 2 acre lot that needs
allot of brush trimming. I want to buy a brush trimmer with a blade
at the bottom. I hear that Husqvarna and Stihl are the only way to
go. However they are around $600 with the attachment. I also hear
that Echo is decent.

Does anyone have any experience with this specific tools and which one
is my best bet for good quality brush trimming tool.
Thanks.

Go to Nepean-Kanata Aircooled engines out near Stittsville and buy a
Stihl ;-)

[No I'm not affiliated with them, just purchased a Stihl FS85 from them
that's now at least 10 years old and has never needed servicing when used on my 10
acre chunk of West Carleton ;-). Pricy? Yes. Worth it? Very much so compared
to the previous crap.]

Upper end Echos and Poulans are decent and see some contractor use.
Most pro landscapers or tree service people use Stihl or Husky. HD
carries Echo, but have few if any of the high end ones.

You need to make sure you're getting a professional model. Straight shaft,
heavy duty motor. I believe one of the distinguishing features with
a better motor is roller bearings in the engine rather than sleeve.
They last a _lot_ longer.

A unit that can accept a 7 1/4" circular saw blade means that you have lots
of options. I have a 4 tooth Stihl blade, but don't use it very often.
It also has "saw" option which is nothing more than a 7 1/4" circular
saw blade. Haven't really needed it yet, I'd use a cheapie circular
saw blade rather than Stihl's if I needed it.

[I'd probably use a carbide wrecking blade. A trifle less aggressive in
cutting due to slight reverse tip angle, but better control and it'll better
withstand contact with things I'd rather it didn't like rocks.]

A chain saw may be more appropriate for some of the larger stuff. Only
you can answer that. If you already have one, never mind.
--
Chris Lewis,