Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom grodenhiATgmailDOTcom is offline

Default washing machine drainage

On May 30, 2:22 am, mm wrote:
On 29 May 2007 12:03:15 -0700, grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

wrote:

2.) Do I need the basket thingy? Would anything the washing machine,
kitchen sink, or laundry sink be large enough to clog the pump?

In the past, my washing machines had a filter that I was supposed to
take out and clean, maybe after every load.

The machine I've had for the last 24 years doesnt have this, and
claims to chew up the lint to make it very small. I would rather have
the previous kind of washer I think. I think when I did, less lint
came out the hose.

So your question above could depend on the kind of washing machine you
have.

3.) I know some people will use a laundry tub to drain their washing
machine into. How common/acceptable is this? Anything I should be

Very/very

careful for? Would this be the best (most commonly used) solution?

Best and most commonly used are not always the same.

I try very hard not to get lint down my sink drain, because I don't
want to clog the check valve so that it doesn't shut, which I need to
keep the sewer from backing up into my basement. However I think I
clogged it years ago. It would only take a little bit to keep it from
shutting. (and I don't know how to clean it.)

You don't have a check valve, I'm sure, but you have that pump.

I've never had a pump like yours and don't know anything about it.

I think I'll try out draining to the sink instead. For a standard
sized washing machine, how big would this sink have to be. We have a
20 gallon sink (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?
action=productDetail&productId=20137-332-102011&lpage=none), would
this do? I'm also going to get a filter for the washer hose (the pump
has a filter to protect it, but I also assume I don't want to clog the
sink drain either). We have no sewage check valve that I know of (we
don't have town sewage, we have a septic tank). Thanks for everyone's
help/suggestions, you're making me feel a little better about this
setup now.