Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Buying a house, Aluminum Wiring?

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
hlink.net...
RayV wrote:

The stranded Al wire doesn't have the same propensity for failure as
'solid conducter' Al, I'm not a physicist so I don't know why.

It has to do with what is known as "cold flow".

When you make a connection using solid conductor Al, you have a good solid
mechanical connection; however, the Al oxidizes which increases electrical
resistance.

When current flows thru the wire, the Al wire heats up slightly and the Al
wire softens slightly and begins to flow or ooze, thus reducing the amount
of clamping force provided by the termination which causes increased
electrical resistanc

I suspect that large amounts of current which will cause aluminum cable to
jump will cause loose connections also. Years ago I was using a set of
aluminum cable jumper cables to jump start a car. Every time the other car
cranked, the cables would jump and get warm.