Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do 4" by 2" joists exist anymore?

Mal Jackson wrote:
Hullo!

I've got a big hole where I had dry rot and wet rot and I need replacement
4x2 joists - but I can't find any. They all seem undersize.

thats useally the sawn size pre-final drying out and planing if done..

Rough sawn you should be able to get it, or 100mm x 50mm or whatever it is.

Planed will be about 3/16" smaller all round.

Before I go traipsing around Nottingham looking for proper 4x2's, does
anybody know if it's possible to get them, or will I have to get undersize
and pack it.

Also, should I expect joists to be straight? the last lot I bought were
warped bigtime.

go into a decent BM and select the stuff you want. Most building rough
sawn lumber is very much 'no quality control' and its rare to get a
totally straight bit.

Unless you spend a lot more on the wood.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Mal.